Privacy and cookies
This volunteering portal is run by Centrica plc. This policy applies to personal information we hold and collect about you through the volunteering portal. It does not apply to information we hold about you for other employment related purposes.
It explains how we may collect information about you and then use it to meet your needs. It also explains some of the security measures we take to protect your privacy, and tells you certain things we will not do.
1. Collecting information
We may collect personal information about you from a number of sources, including the following:
- from you when you agree to register for news about volunteering opportunities, sign up for or give us feedback on a volunteering opportunity, in which case this may include your contact details including your email address, full name and location.
- from organisations that provide volunteering opportunities
2. Using information
2.1 Information you provide or we hold about you may be used by us or our agents (or both) to:
- identify you when you contact us;
- give you the volunteering services you've asked for
- help run, and contact you about improved running of, any volunteering opportunity we have provided before, or provide now or in the future;
- for profiling, reporting and statistical analysis
- contact you in any way (including mail, email, phone, visit, text or multimedia messages) about volunteering opportunities available. We will only contact you in this way if you have previously shown your consent; and
- for promotional purposes within Centrica plc as a case study material but only where you have agreed.
2.2 We may allow other people and organisations including other companies in our group to use information we hold about you:
- for any of the above services and;
- if we have been asked to provide information for legal or regulatory purposes; or
- as part of current or future legal proceedings.
- to provide feedback to volunteering partners
- for reporting to stakeholders, we will measure volunteering hours achieved versus target, types of volunteering done, employee feedback on impact of volunteering and analysing uptake of volunteering across our sites and businesses. This data will look at groups of employees by business rather than at individuals.
3. Protecting information
We have strict security measures to protect personal information. This includes following certain procedures (for example, checking your identity when you use this portal)
4. CRB checks and other criteria for assessing application
Depending on the volunteering opportunity you choose to participate in, you may also be subject to completing a DBS check where required by law.
5. Photos and personal
- do not upload photos of children, vulnerable individuals or individuals with special needs or anyone who is likely to object to their photos being uploaded.
- we reserve the right to remove, without prior notice, any photos and/or comments published on this portal that for any reason are deemed inappropriate or is in breach of these guidelines
- your photos and/or comments may be used by various communications channels throughout the company. We will do our best to advise you if any comments or posts made by you are used/to be used in any company communications or presentations.
- You will not post content or take any action on this portal that infringes or violates someone else's rights or otherwise violates the law. We retain the right to remove any content or information you post if we believe that it violates this Statement or our internal policies.
Cookies are used on websites, including mobile sites and mobile apps, in order to improve and personalise your experience by enabling the site to 'remember' you, either for the duration of your visit (using a 'session cookie') or for repeat visits (using a 'persistent cookie').
Cookies do lots of different jobs, like letting you navigate between pages efficiently, storing your preferences, and generally improving your experience of a website; thereby making the interaction between you and the website faster and easier.
A cookie is a simple text file that is stored on your computer or mobile device by a website's server and only that server will be able to retrieve or read the contents of that cookie. Each cookie is unique to your web browser. It will contain some anonymous information such as a unique identifier and the site name and some digits and numbers.
More detailed information on cookies can be found at www.aboutcookies.org
Strictly Necessary (Essential for making our site work properly)
These cookies let you move around the website and support essential features like secure areas. These cookies do not gather any information about you that could be used for marketing or remembering where you have been on the internet. Such cookies are essential to provide you with the desired website experience and are not used for gathering information, remembering your preferences or advertising products or services to you. If you disable these cookies your experience of our website will be affected, and we may not be able to provide some services to you.
Performance (Collect information about how you use our website)
Performance cookies collect information about how you use our website e.g. which pages you visit, and if you experience any errors. These cookies do not collect any information that could identify you – all the information collected is anonymous and is only used to help us improve how our website works, understand what interests our users and measure how effective our advertising is. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.
Using our portal indicates that you accept the use of 'Performance' cookies.
Functionality (Used to provide services or to remember settings to improve your visit)
Functionality cookies are used to provide services or to remember settings (such as language and other customisable parts of our web pages) to improve your experience. Items such as your settings, and identifying you as being logged in to our website are all supported by functionality cookies. The information these cookies collects may be anonymised and they cannot track your browsing activity on other websites. By using our website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device.
6.2. How to control and delete cookies
8. Further information
9. How you can see the information we have about you
You're entitled to a copy of the information we hold about you, and to ask us to correct any inaccurate information. We can charge you a small fee for providing a copy of the information we hold. For more information, please contact our Privacy Team by writing to them at:
30 The Causeway
Or, you can e-mail Privacy@britishgas.co.uk